Department's history

 

Personnel

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

  

  

  

 

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

INSTITUTE HISTORY

The Institute of Medical Physics was formed during the foundation of the Faculty of Medicine, which is a part of the re-established Olomouc University. Its objective was to get medical students familiarized primarily with the physical laws governing biological processes and, further, with mechanisms of effects of physical factors on live organisms.

From 1946 to 1948, the Institute was managed by RNDr. Rostislav Košál (appointed to the extraordinary professor in 1948), who later worked as a professor of physics at the Faculty of Natural Sciences in the Masaryk`s University in Brno. At the Institute, RNDr. Josef Fuka (1947), who later worked as a professor of physics at the Faculty of Natural Sciences in the Palacky`s University, Jan Schwarz (1947-1956) and Jaroslav Sommer (1948) worked as teachers. After Rostislav Košál had left, the Institute of Medical Physics was temporarily managed by Prof. MUDr. Jaroslav Mělka, head of the Institute of Physiology. In the academic year 1948 / 49, Doc. RNDr. Ladislav Zachoval, who later worked as a professor of physics at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics at Karl`s University, was a medical physics lecturer and examiner. In the year 1949 / 1950, Ian Schwarz was the assistant of the Institute.

After September 1950, MUDr. Bruno Schober became the manager of the Institute and the personnel management situation stabilized. He came to Olomouc from the Ministry of Health. Up to the year 1956, teaching was covered by two assistant professors - RNDr. Jan Schwarz and MUDr. Jaroslav Sedláček, together with the head of the Institute. In 1954, Bruno Schober was appointed the deputy associate professor. This happened during the time when state associate professors were being appointed (without habilitation proceedings).

The Institute staffs changed significantly in 1956 when RNDr. Cyril Dockal (1956-1960) and Rostislav Vyslouzil (1956 - 1960) joined as assistant professors. Gradually a number of assistant positions expanded further as a number of students was increasing. Ludmila Lidova (1958-1991) and Jiri Spitalsky (1958-1975) joined the Institute.

There was a further expansion of the Medical Physics Institute in 1960 when assistant professors Jiri Farsky (1960-1961) and Miroslava Vintrova (1960-1961) worked here for one year period. In this year, Jarmila Pospisilova and Eduard Pospisil (1960-19910) also joined the institute. Ing.Vaclav Husak (1960) was assigned to the Department of Nuclear Medicine, which was being established at that time. At present, he works there as a professor.

At that time, a position of an assistant professor for biostatic analyses ( doc Schober was the Dean of Faculty of Medicine in 1958-1960 which, as it always had been, made creation of new positions easier) was established within the department. Stanislav Komenda was accepted for this position. Prof. RNDr. Stanislav Komenda, DrSc is the head of the biometry workplace with Mgr. Jana Zapletalova and Jitka Jalinkova as co-workes.

In the first 15 years of existence of the department, one of the major efforts was oriented towards the teaching function of the department. This was complicated by numerous renovations being done in today`s Trida Svobody 26 building which resulted in successful completion of the faculty central mechanical shop ( managed by the head of the Department of Medical Physics ), installation of the Geiger-Muller counter and the faculty electronic microscope (1955).

Since 1953, problems relevant to radiobiology ( at the beginning, in pioneer times, when radiation-hygienic regulations did not exist, this included also a radioisotope application ) became the department`s central research program, particularly a study of changes developing in an organism after ionizing radiation. With respect to long term changes, development of tumorous diseases was researched. Partial results of these studies were published. Doc.Schober also devoted great efforts to defining a new concept of a newly emerging scientific discipline - medical physics. He put his views into an extensive medical physics university textbook for medicine students, which he gradually expanded and which became a basis for the nation - wide Medical Physics textbook published in 1962 by the National Health Publishers.

In early sixties, the Medical Physics field was greatly effected by ideas of newly (in the Czech Republic) rising cybernetics. The Czech publications of the Norbert Wiener`s book Cybernetics or Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine hit the academic community involved in the medical physics field very hard. Doc. Scober, who gained considerable experience in biomedicine research statistics during his war time stay in Great Britain, quickly realized, that the probability concept and statistics methods represent the backbone for cybernetics and its applications. He became its enthusiastic supporter and - through some research work and lectures - contributed to quickly growing amount of popular literature in the new scientific field.

In the given time period, possibilities of an international scientific and academic co-operation were emerging, even though to very limited and specific extent. The foreign political orientation of Czechoslovakia at that time led, among other things, to a co-operation agreement with a new medical faculty in Oran, Algeria, which was being founded at that time. In 1965, perhaps during his first visit from Algeria, Doc. Schrober was appointed as an assistant professor. Bruno Schober renewed his original two year agreement twice and by the end of 1969 decided not to return back to Czechoslovakia.

Doc. MUDr. Jaroslav Doubravsky, CSc., later a professor, the head of the Institute of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, deputized for Doc. Schober while he was in Oran.

MUDr. Arnost Bayer, CSc., who worked in the department from 1967 to 1971, devoted his efforts as a research worker - pathologist to finalize histological materials of Schober`s long-term radiological project. MUDr. Milena Kubicova-Menzlova (1964-1969) and MUDr. Valerie Palencarova-Foltynova (1965-1969) worked with him under his supervision.

Professor Doubravsky`s appointment was terminated in1976 when the department of Medical Physics was joined with the department of Nuclear Medicine which until then had been a part of the Department of Internal Diseases II within the Teaching Hospital. Doc. MUDr. Milos Wiedermann CSc. was appointed as head of the new Department of Biophysics and Nuclear Medicine.

The focus of the professional activity of the new department was on pedagogical work. The number of students was increasing - at a certain time, due to erroneous estimates within a central government and party planning chaos, up to 200 stomatology students were accepted for one year of study - so the number of medicine students doubled between 1960 and 1975. Great efforts, therefore, were also put into rationalization of examinations and entrance examinations with utilization of didactic tests and technical teaching aids. Department research programs consisted of a mosaic of partial tasks, usually being solved in co-operation with other departments or clinics of the faculty.

At that time, RNDr. Marie Bohackova (1969-1994), a biophysics graduate of the Faculty of Natural Sciences, Brno`s university and RNDr. Jiri Svoboda (1977-!992), an optoelectronics graduate of the Faculty of Natural Sciences, Palacky`s University joined the department in a position of an assistant professor. Since 1972, RNDr. Eva Tesarikova worked on a biometric program.

In September 1985, Doc. MUDr. Zdenek Grosman, CSc., a biophysicist from the Faculty of Medicine, Karl`s University, Hradec Kralove, joined the department. In 1988, the physical part of the Department of Medical Biophysics and Nuclear Medicine was again separated under the name of Department of Biophysics and Doc. Grosman was appointed as the head.

As perhaps in all other universities and their faculties, also in the Faculty of Medicine a need arose to introduce teaching of fundamentals of informatics. The department was entrusted with this.

In 1992, Prof. Ing. Jan Halek, CSc. a member of the department since 1990, was appointed as the head of the Department of Medical Biophysics, Informatics and Biometry. In 1990, Ing. Stanislav Smolan also joined the department. Some of the teachers (RNDr. E. Pospisil, CSc., MUDr. J. Pospisilova, CSc., RNDr. L. Lidova) failed the open competition and left the department in 1991. In 1991, RNDr. Jiri Spitalsky returned after his rehabilitation.

During his previous work in the Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Olomouc, Prof. Ing. Jan Halek, CSs. was engaged in techniques of measuring algesia and analgesia. In this field, he is an author of several patents, some of which won international recognition. In his new position he has transferred the focus of his work on introduction of computer technology and familiarization with programming possibilities in this presently fastest developing scientific field. Prof. Ing. Jan Halek, CSc was also the chairman of the Academic Senate of the Faculty of Medicine, vice-chairman of the Academic Senate of Palacky`s University and deputy of the Ministry of Education.

Doc. RNDr. Josef Pesak, CSc., who joined the department in 1992 after many years of work in other areas of Palacky`s University, has been systematically and on long term basis involved in problems of voice generation and voice pathology. Some of his results have been published abroad and won professional recognition and appreciation.

In 1992, Doc.RNDr. Hana Kolarova CSc. joined the Institute of Biophysics. She came from the Laboratory for Research of Skin Physiology, Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine. RNDr. Hana Kolarova, CSc. is involved in studying utilization of laser radiation and a photo-dynamic effect in medicine, fluorescent study methods of celluolus damage and methods of image analyses.

In 1993, RNDr. Marie Bohackova, CSc. left and in 1994, Doc. RNDr. Roman Kubinek, CSc., who graduated from the Faculty of Natural Sciences, Olomouc where he studied precision mechanics and optics, joined the department. After 12 years of work in the Department of Experimental Physics at the Faculty of Natural Sciences, he became involved in the pedagogical process at the Faculty of Medicine and works in the field of biophysics experimental methods.

In 1995, RNDr. Jiri Spitalsky left and Ing. Ladislav Dolezal joined the department after previous work in the Clinic of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Faculty of Medicine, Palacky`s University, Olomouc. Ing. Ladislav Dolezal studies problems associated with measuring and control of quality of ultrasound imaging systems.

In 1992, an opportunity arose for the institute to join the TEMPUS 2194 (Technology Transfer in Information Technology ) project: which made possible an exchange of teachers and students and further co-operation with Staffordshire University, Great Britain, Dublin Institute of Technology, Ireland, Institute des Sciences Appliquees, Lyon, and University Politecnica de Valencia.

Prof. MUDr. Bruno Schober, CSc., the founder of the medical physics, or rather biophysics, discipline at the Faculty of Medicine, Palacky`s University died in Vancouver, Canada, in February, 1993.

At present, teaching staff at the Institute of Medical Biophysics consists of:

Top

 

personNEL

   

   

 

 

phone

e-mail

Head

 

 

 

Doc. RNDr. Hana Kolářová, CSc.

420-58-563-2101

kol(at)tunw.upol.cz

Deputy Head

 

 

 

MUDr. Mgr. Robert Bajgar, Ph.D.

420-58-563-2106

bajgar(at)tunw.upol.cz

Secretary

 

 

 

Dagmar Skaličková

420-58-563-2102

skalicd(at)tunw.upol.cz

Professors

 

 

 

Prof. Ing. Jan Hálek, CSc.

420-58-563-2104

hal(at)tunw.upol.cz

Associate Professors

 

 

Assistant Professors

 

 

 

Ing. Ladislav Doležal, CSc.

420-58-563-2114

ladol(at)tunw.upol.cz

 

Ing. Kateřina Tománková, Ph.D.

420-58-563-2703 

katerina.tomankova(at)upol.cz

 

RNDr. Jiří Mazura

420-58-563-2118

jiri.mazura(at)upol.cz

 

MUDr. Mgr. Jaroslav Maceček, Ph.D.

420-58-563-2106 

jari.m(at)post.cz

 

Ing. David Korpas, Ph.D.

420-58-563-2115

david.korpas(at)seznam.cz

Assistants

 

 

 

Mgr. Svatopluk Binder

420-58-563-2108

svatopluk.binder(at)upol.cz

 

Mgr. Jiří Tesařík

420-58-563-2108

tesarik(at)tunw.upol.cz

 

Ing. Stanislav Smolan

420-58-563-2108

smolan(at)upol.cz

Laboratory Assistants

 

 

 

Lenka Ščudlíková

 

scud(at)tunw.upol.cz

 

Ludmila Sekulová

 

sek(at)tunw.upol.cz

 

 

 

 

Biometry

 

 

 

Prof. RNDr. Stanislav Komenda, DrSc.

420-58-563-2711

komenda(at)tunw.upol.cz

 

Mgr. Jana Zapletalová, Dr.

420-58-563-2712

jana(at)tunw.upol.cz

 

Mgr.Kateřina Langová

420-58-563-2713

langova(at)tunw.upol.cz

 

 

 

 

 

Top